AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
Absolutely. Of course I went only with H&R Sport Springs the first time. Was so happy my car was lowered that I ignored the terrible ride quality. As the "
newness" of my suspension wore off, I slowly came to realize that I hated it. After that, I swapped out my stock dampers for Bilstein Sports. It's definitely better now but you'll notice that small things will begin to bug you weeks after the honeymoon period has worn off. People who tell you there aren't trade offs to lowering your car are blowing smoke...aesthetically it looks awesome but there are absolutely sacrifices to ride quality and comfort.
I'm sorry, I'm having a little trouble following you. After you matched up the springs with the bilsteins, it's much improved (as I would expect) compared to stock struts and aftermarket springs, but you were still unhappy a month down the road? What were the small things that bugged you? What were your sacrifices? When you say ride quality was reduced, do you mean from a performance standpoint, or the fact that you feel bumps in the road more? For me personally, I wasn't ever disillusioned that I'd not have a bit of a stiffer ride, as I've been on aftermarket suspensions before. I'm actually kind of surprised how minor the increase in stiffness is so far.

For the record, I think it's pretty well established that going with springs on stock struts is defintely going to degrade performance, and like the life of the stock struts. As mentioned above, I did the bilstein sports, which are designed for a lower spring (as opposed to the bilstein HDs) with my springs.

I don't deny I'm on a "honeymoon" of sorts, but I upgraded this suspension for performance and ride quality first, and looks second. Based on that goal, so far (4 days), I feel like I got what I bargained for, but I'd love to know more about what bugged you after the newness wore off

Last edited by AWD Addict; 03-20-2012 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0