View Single Post
      08-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

It's not a hard job at all to DIY. It's one of the easiest DIY's. Take off wheel. Remove plastic caps (2) that are covering the caliper guide pins (which hold caliper onto caliper carrier). Remove caliper guide pins (I think it's a 7mm Allen/hex). Once those pins out, remove caliper and either set it on a flower pot, wire it up, etc. so that caliper is not hanging from brake hoses. Take cap off brake fluid reservoir and put rag around it in case some fluid comes out when you retract calipers. If you replacing pads, take out old pads (remove clip on caliper, pads should fall out). Retract calipers using a free rent tool from Autozone. Put anti-squeal if you want on the BACK of the pads, not the face of the pad, install new pads onto caliper, put clips on carrier, and re-install caliper onto caliper carrier.

If you want to replace rotors as well (suggested), remove two bolts holding caliper carrier onto the knuckle. One they iare removed, rotor should come off. Install new rotor. Install caliper carrier. Install caliper using guide pins (suggest cleaning guide pins and putting new lube on them). Once you are done, check master clyinder to see who much fluid leaked out when retracted calipers. Fill to level and put top on. Put board or something under brake pedal (to prevent pedal from going all the way to the floor) and pump brakes. If you wish, you may bleed brakes suggested) or take it to a shop.

Honestly, it is a severely easy DIY (I just did it on my BMW, AUdi, and a friend's trcuk)). First side should take 30-60 minutes if you haven't done them before to figure out, other sides should take less than 30 minutes each.
Appreciate 0