Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodan View Post
Wrong. The service indicator does not know if you add oil. It determines the condition of the oil by the amount of fuel burned, engine temperature, etc. Its service reminder is based on the condition of the oil if it were the exact same seven quarts from the last service. Top up oil adds an margin of safety.

How many BMW's have you heard of that wipe cams or spin rod bearings? None? So what makes you so sure that the service intervals they run are somehow bad? Can you tell me that you have some good reason why the intervals are harmful other than because they just seem to be to you? I see e46's and e39's approaching 200k miles, some with even more. Still running great.

The N54 has water cooled turbos. Traditional oil cooled turbos can be hard on oil, but the bearing housings in the 335 run well below the point where synthetic oil will begin to coke.

So dont worry about it. And chill out.
I agree to a point. The guys who are saying they changed their own oil 3 times in the first 8k miles and every 2-3K miles there-after are simply throwing their money away, but the 18K/2 years between changes is too extreme the other way. I figue once a year or every 8-10K miles is a reasonable balance.
Appreciate 0