08-01-2007, 12:31 AM   #41
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325 Baller View Post
so you basically got the head for 30 bucks?! you sure the heads not a knockoff becuase thats a VERy good price
I got it from ProShop Warehouse on ebay... they don't sell any fake stuff. They mainly deal in overstock, clearance, returns, blemishes and refurbs.

But in any case, there is 1 issue with the driver, which I noticed, even as I bid on it. It doesn't have the USGA conformance mark, and they don't mention it.

I'm not sure if you know, but a few months after the Sumo Squared was released, NIKE had to have a sort of "recall" program. Some early Sumo Squared drivers were found to exceed the USGA limits on COR due, according to Nike, to "unauthorized manufacturing variances."
http://thesandtrap.com/equipment/clu..._sumo2_drivers

Nike pulled all of the Sumo Squareds from store shelves, and replaced them with later manufactured and fully conforming heads, that include an additional colored and indented "mark" on the head, to differentiate the newer, "conforming" heads with the earlier heads with questionable conformance.

Those who purchased the earlier heads were also given an opportunity to get it replaced by Nike during March and April of this year. Nike probably sold all of the questionable drivers off to clearance houses like Pro Shop Warehouse.

According to Nike, some of the earlier heads "may" drive the ball 1 to 2 yards longer. Big deal... for recreational golf this won't make a difference. If I wanted to compete in a tournament under USGA rules, then I'd have to get a different driver or buy the new Sumo Squared.

So any way, I'm sure the one I won on ebay is one of the drivers Nike pulled from the stores. Still a great deal . It appears these "questionable conformance" drivers are going for low to high 200's on EBay, depending on popularity of loft and shaft flex. $210 was a great price nontheless, especially considering the factory installed custom shaft.

Sam

P.S. Cleveland HiBore XL Drivers in 10.5 loft, right hand models, were also found to be non-conforming. In USGA sanctioned events, those with HiBore XL RH 10.5 drivers aren't allow to use them, if they aren't one of the newer ones with the additional conformance "mark" that Cleveland Golf has added to the drivers. I was just at a store when a junior golfer came in, because his coach told him to get the driver replaced with the newer HiBore XL with the conformance mark.
Appreciate 0