View Single Post
      08-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #43
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I'm thinking to make a separate thread on this, but it seemed relevant here. One of the most important things you could do to make a 335 feel more like a Cayman is lose weight. That was seeming like a very difficult thing to do, but I just totalled up some simple mods and the losses are substantial: wheels 8 lbs. each, tires 5 lbs each, coilovers 8 lbs each, hollow sways 15 lbs each, exhaust 40 lbs, DPs 10 lbs, mini battery 40 lbs, take out tool kit and other unnecessary stuff, and we are talking over 200 lbs, much of it unsprung weight. That is going to make a significant difference.

But most of those weight removing items are costly.
Wheels/tires are probably the most bang for the buck as you gain a lot by spending a grand or two swapping to different wheels/tires and dropping 25-45 lbs rotational mass while gaining better all around performance.

Where do you get hollow sways?
And I'd guess they'd be expensive, plus installing sways on this car is a costly install.

Exhaust is usually closer to a 30 lbs drop in weight, but it's worth it because you drop weight, gain a bit of power, and get great sound all for $1100-2000

DP's are great too, but expensive and while many dealers will accept cat back exhaust systems and not void a warranty, don't know of ANY who will accept DP's on a car without voiding the engine/turbo warranty.

Also don't know if you'll drop 40 lbs from a lightweight battery.
The LW batts are usually around 12-15 pounds.
OEM ones are probably 40-45 pounds, so you'll save 25-30 lbs.
It's a good mod and have considered it myself.

The tool kit weighs probably 2-3 lbs. Not worth not having it in the car.

BMW should offer the 335i with an optional sunroof.
Those alone add probably 10-12 pounds to the car and it's all in the worst place...top of the car.
Same with aluminum hoods instead of steel. Would also probably save 10 pounds not only up high, but in the front, where you want to lose a bit of weight to make the weight distribution better.
Appreciate 0