11-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #27
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90TiAg335i View Post
That would be true unless you have a welded ring gear like mine. Then it's probably cheaper going the m3 route. The only labor you'd have to pay for is the driveshaft cutting and balancing. I'm definetly going the m3 route when I come across the right deal!
In GeorgeSmooth's thread about his M3 diff install he said "... I do not have much detail as the install took me by surprise. The sideshafts from the M3 fit directly in the hubs. We used half the driveshaft of the M3 and half from the 335 auto. That's where the two components marry. The 335 driveshaft needed engineering work to be slightly shortened and the completed driveshaft balance. All in all it took a day and a half.
My tuner felt it was more a challenge than anything so we weren't expecting to use this as a permanent mod but something just to keep the car going till the OEM diff with Quaife is repaired. Now I have decided not to take it of hehe."

12 hours at a concervative $85/hr is $1000+ for the install. Definately does not sound cheaper. Plus the final drive is very low on the M3 diff, so definately not suitable for an MT (3.09 vs. 3.85), from what I could tell in the thread anyway.
Appreciate 0