View Single Post
      06-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #13
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Like others have said I paid a much larger percentage of my salary when i was younger, probably closer to 25% but don't know exactly as it was a long time ago. I left home at 17 but rented/shared cheap accommodation and went lots of great holidays on top of enjoying fast(ish) cars. I based my decisions on where I saw my financial situation going in the not too distant future and made a point of never getting into debt that couldn't be settled should I encounter an ICE.

I think lots of young guys get into a car thinking they can afford it at the moment although it's pretty much all they can afford. Most don't think about the fact that unless their wage increases considerably they are going to be stuck living with their mum until they are in their 30s. There was a "my new S3" thread nearly every week on the Audi forum and nearly all of them were from early 20 somethings living with ma'n pa. Not looking ahead to far is all part of being young, it takes the wisdom of experience to realise it's a silly approach.

Until recently I paid about 10% but now I pay buggerall% which is absolutely fantastic. Older people pay less as they invariably make more and have more things leaching the wages out of their pockets such as wife, kids, home etc.
Appreciate 0