Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
It seems to me that the main four or five contributors to this thread fall into the category of the 'vocal minority'.

One admits he has a chip on his shoulder and one admits he has a problem with authority... the rest are starting to sound like Daily Mail readers... ie broken Britain.. blah blah blah!!

I think the police do an incredibly difficult and thankless job. They rush into situations on a daily basis whilst others are rushing out.. perhaps the people who are so critical should ask themselves if they could do the job they do and put up with all the shit they take (usually from internet forum know it all's!!) who have not even stepped up to the mark.

Rant over..
I've deliberately stayed out of this discussion as I am a well known Guardian reader and liberal (with a small L). My mother was also a police office for many years as were a couple of my uncles I would like to think that I have no axe to grind with the police and I disagree with many of the daft "authority baiting" stories that one gets in the Guardian.

However!!!!

I have had two "run ins" with the police in recent years as described below.

1. My 12 year old daughter was flashed at for the 2nd time by the same person while coming home from school. She rang 999 explained what had happened and asked for the police to come immediately as the man was trying to get her into his car. This was at 03:00pm. We got a call from the police at 10:00 pm following up. She could have been DEAD!

2. A drunk paraplegic in an electrical wheelchair collided with my car causing £500 of damage. I caught him doing it and called the police when he made a "run" for it. Dorset's finest arrived and their first question to me was "Have you ever been in trouble with the police?" I resisted the urge to tell them to "f*ck off" and pointed out that I came from a family of coppers. That soothed their tiny brains but they refused to take action against the paraplegic as it would have been "bad press" for Dorset Constabulary. I nearly rang the Daily Mail myself!

So all in all my personal experience has been pretty poor and I think the officer in this boy's case was completely out of order. Coppers need a "bad guy " filter rather than assuming that we are all crooks.
Appreciate 0