my07_335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 SMG 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
I just picked up an E91 for the wife and wanted to do this mod as well, but the instructions for the steptronic with iDrive just didn't make sense and had me worried about damaging something. Luckily I got an E90 step loaner today, so what better way to figure out how this really works.

I haven't done the actual mod yet, but I did tear the center console trim apart and it's very easy.

I've added a few arrows to TambourineMan's pic. (hope he doesn't mind)

Attachment 208118

The leather boot and plastic cover are all one piece and held into the trim at 6 points. The 3 important ones have red arrows pointing to them in the pic above. You basically grab the front of the black plastic surround with your finger tips and press in towards the shifter to release that clip on the top. Then move to the front right corner and do the same. Once that corner is out, the whole piece can easily be lifted out by pulling towards the front of the car. It's not as terrifying as it sounds. After you have that out you'll need to grab the lower left side of the center trim (closest to the drivers seat) with your fingers and pull up to release one of the clips. Then just work your way around. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Just thought this info might help some step owners since I know none of this made sense to me. Obviously having the shifter in D allows you to slide the center trim piece over the shift cover for easier removal.
thanks for this..I'm going to be installing my tray on my lunch, and would've tried pulling the leather boot and not this plastic....instructions and pictures had been lacking in the area of step tronic transmissions... you have clarified this... definitely could've used better directions/better photos before you came along, now i am not so scared of braking something.
Appreciate 0