View Single Post
      09-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Possible alternative lip options for m3 rep bumper

I haven't taken any measurements but logic would lead me to believe that the m3 replica's measurements are the same as oem m3 up until the ends of the vent area.

I'd assume after the vents is where the shape changes because they had to compensate for the fender.

If that is true, this lip (along with a few others that don't wrap around) SHOULD fit:

http://www.bjautofans.com/p_6517.page

it looks like the edges would just stick out slightly like the kersher or hamaan lip/splitter.

of course, i have no way of testing my fitment theory without an m3 bumper in hand to compare the replica to.

--------------

Another thing i noticed while searching through lips on ebay was the fitment of the popular v-style lip on an actual OEM m3 bumper. As you can see, in the area where i'm assuming our bumpers differ, the v-style lip actually curves inward, as though it is too small for the oem m3 bumper.

Back when i was considering a wide body conversion i noted that there is a 12mm difference between m3 fenders and non-m e92 fenders. This width difference on the v-style for OEM m3 sure could pass for 12mm (about half an inch), which would make it fit almost perfectly on the replica bumpers (in theory). If you notice, they also have fitment issues in the same areas that people complain about on the v-style for rep m3 bumpers, right where the vents end.

you can compare this directly to the v-style lip for the m3 rep bumpers here:

Could the v-style lips just be made for oem m3 bumpers and just happen to fit? or is there a completely different mold for them as suggested by the vendors?

what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0