View Single Post
      03-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #23
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by redz06 View Post
With the Jehnert 8" speakers in the underseat enclosures and an active crossover at 200 Hz, the bass is not directional, so I put my hand on the underseat speaker grilles to confirm the source of the bass sound. The Jehnerts are doing their job.

I find the sensitivty of the Jehnerts is less than the Morel Ovation II mid and tweeters, so I run considerably more gain into them via my JL 600/6 amp to provide a balanced musical sound. I use the stock underseat grilles and have not found any necessity to remove them for mid-woofer clearance as folks have done with the SWS speakers.

I have not added an 80 Hz low pass filter to the Jehnerts as suggested by the manufacturer. I do not think most folks are running this filter with these speakers, unless they are running subwoofers with very high amplifier power. Nevertheless, it may be a "fair warning" to folks running the Jehnert 8" speakers that this speaker has only a 1" diameter voice coil, wihch can only dissipate so much power, and large amounts of low frequency power will likely eventually destroy the Jehnert speakers( not the way I want it, blame physics).

One other caveat is that the Jehnert underseat mid-woofers have thin stamped-steel frames which may be intolerant of installation forces in comparison to the cast frame competition. Be very careful not to overstress the stamped steel speaker frames during installation for fear of destroying the alignment. between the voice coil and the magnet structure.

'nuf said.
So you use the jlaudio amp to handle high passing the doers at 200 hz and low passing the underseats at 200hz. Other than changing the amp gain, are you doing any additional processing? Time alignment or frequency EQ?
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0