View Single Post
      02-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
I'd like to see more documentation showing the 1M water pump is significantly superior. If so I'd definitely put it in. It's kinda hard to get objective data with this though; so we almost have to have BMW Published docs to provide details.
Firstly, Brian, the M1 water pump has to be stronger than ours. It has a different part number, and cost almost $200 more. If you read the doc, I posted, you would see where the pump for the N52 is rated at 7000L/Hr or 400 watts, while ours is at 9,000L/Hr, and pulls 600 watts. There should be a slight increase in pump capacity, and watts with the M1 pump.

Lastly, I just wanted you to re-read the doc, to drive home a point that I think you have missed about oil temps. Here are the main points:

1. We have high oil temps because the turbo's gasses can reach 1,500 deg, and the oil, and water both are diverted to cool them.

2. The ECU has 4 total cylinder head temp targets to choose from, and majority of the time it targets 108C, the eco mode, as we all know. 108C cylinder head temps, or 240F pan oil temps. Because the ECU decides the oil temps to maintain, and 99% of the time, is in fuel economy mode, we won't get anywhere on the track, until someone figures out how to force the ecu to acknowledge the fact you are trying to race your car.

3. water pump has several pre-programmed operating modes to choose from, and the ECU communicates with it, and the thermostat to decide our car's oil temps in real time.
Appreciate 0