01-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #35
andy92782
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 C2S, '04 4Runner 4x4 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
I assume you mean by you need to pay cash for the d to make it out. Not really as the $4500 eco-credit + $900 tax credit on the d, you're already starting out ahead as my credit union is giving me 3.9% financing which is only 1% worse than what BMWNA will give you on the 335i. So you're already getting a cheaper car outright. Now leasing is a different game as BMW has decided to subsidize the lease rate on the 335i instead of offering a cash rebate. (maybe they need more CPO's in the future?)
I agree... I should have included "finance" along with "buy outright". The eco credit makes the 335d very cost competitive that way. But the current lease terms for the 335d absolutely suck. It doesn't make any financial sense to lease one. BMW is essentially saying, "We don't have a lot of long term confidence in this product. keep it! We don't want 'em back."

The other thing with diesel is the volatility of diesel fuel cost, which tends to fluctuate even more wildly than BMW's lease terms. If I recall, back in summer '08, diesel was selling for upwards of $5.25/gallon around here when 91 octane gas was about $4.25. There went most of the fuel efficiency cost benefit... I realize today is different, but if and when the economy starts to pick up again and diesel demand goes back up...
Appreciate 0