M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rangdo View Post
And especially when the costs evens out anyway.

While winters are on, summers are unused and hence last longer. And if you change cars (as long as they're a similar fit) you can take them with you.
I am working on a similar theory with my Wintracs

The summer rubber (Mich PS2's) are about 50% worn now - I need them to last another 18 months until the car goes back, else I will have to fork out £300 per corner for new rubber.

There is little chance they will last 18months so £1200 spend is inevitable.

I have now chucked on the Wintracs andf they will prob be on from Nov-March. 5 months less wear on the PS2's this year and 5 months less wear next winter. This means that the PS2's will now only have to last 6 months driving which shouldn't be an issue.

The Wintracs were half the price of the PS2's so not only am I quids in, I am also SAFER!

The difference in grip levels is quite amazing. I have turned an unusable car in the snow into a very capable car. EVERY single car was wheel spinning down my street this morning. The snow was already compacted hard last night and it has now frozen over and snowed more on top. It is flat but has pretty well zero grip. Rear wheel drive cars were drifting sideways towards the kerbs with the camber of the road. I simply just drove out of my drive and off the estate effortlessly. Did not even flash the traction light once. Neither did the ABS cut in when I braked at the bottom of the hill, unlike the car in front who slid across the T junction after failing to stop.

I even followed a work colleague oin who has a Range Rover vogue. Even that got out of shape on the mini roundabout near work. Mine didn't even twitch.

I would highly recommend winter tyres to anyone
Appreciate 0