View Single Post
      10-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
arejay
Rep
Drives: e90

if you go to the mto and they try to charge you full value for you car, you can have your car appraised. most of the guys who do it will put a reasonable believable value on your vehicle. so you save a on tax....

i had it done this weekend for my winter beater. i have 2003 nissan sentra spec v 220 kms, bought it off my friend for 1000 bucks(needed a bit of work).....went to the mto I declared 750 dollars, the girl did not believe me even with a bill of sale signed by my friend. said she is charging me tax on 2500.00(retail value) .....she said the only way to reduce tax is to have he vehicle appraised.

so i did, and I was honest with him. told him the whole story. He said the lowest he can set the value with out getting flagged is for wholesale value minus a few dollars which he did and set it to 800.00. he told me him self unless i am a wholesaler, the mto will never charge me wholesale taxes.

if you dont want to pay to have it appraised (costs about 40.00) just declare a reasonable value to begin with.

most of the people at the mto are not fools, and lets be honest if the true market value of your vehicle is 25k, who would really sell it to you for 10k...this price to would be way below wholesale value

Last edited by arejay; 10-31-2013 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0