01-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #75
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
read this on another forum and although some of the medical jargon is a bit over-emphasized for effect...the point is made.

so I am left with the following
- cannot get a harness bar as it will not provide sufficient structural support
- cannot get seat without 4-6 point, but then need a cage, and need a HANS so as to prevent cervical spine fractures
- if i get seat and figure out a way to pass OEM belt though the side piece, i most likely need to reposition the belt receptacle slightly to make sure it stay snug. also, i am disabling drive side airbag
- if i decide to get a sport seat just for a bit more support, short of getting the BMW performance recaros which have integrated airbags, but which are like 2500 each, getting a regular sport seat will still cost over 1000 and will necessitate disabling driver side airbag

i hate this shit.

thank you Joel for preventing me from making a potentially stupid mistake. i am still contemplating it if I can get the belt to work...but if not, I'm out. Even if I can, it's still iffy.
george, the following is what i did and why i did it.

- installed recaro fixed back seat to stop me from sliding around.
- had to disable driver seat airbag.
- decided on installing one seat only so i can keep passenger side seat airbag fully functional, that way i dont put my passenger in as much risk.
- retained the use of 3 point belt.
- harnesses would require a harness bar but i dont think harness bars are safe without a roll hoop, which means a full roll bar would be needed... imo thats just too heavy a modification for me to justify financially.
- modified the seat belt receptacle to ensure that the standard 3 point belt will hold me in at the hips. i did this by channeling the seat belt receptacle through the belt hole on the right side of the seat. so when i put my seat belt on, the lower belt still goes across my hips.

not saying that what i did is the best in terms of safety but i weighed the pros and cons of what i did and was prepared to take the risks. the best and safest way to drive on a track would be to have a full fire proof race suit, helmet with hans, built-in fire extinguisher system, full weld-in roll cage with side protection bars, etc..... but go to any event and see how many people actually have this set up (usually less than 50%). it basically makes their car un-driveable on the street.

end of your day, its your car and your life. so you'll have to weigh in the pros and cons on your own. but dont let forum talk decide what you should be doing....

link to an e46 m3 that also had his seatbelt receptacle shortened.
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthrea...=315833&page=7

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)

Last edited by montreal red; 01-13-2013 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0