05-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #92
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
Zach,

can I use carpro essence as one step polish to remove swirls? and what polisher/pad combination I would need?
also, I would be doing both cars with cq uk coating after
I have 2009 BMW 335i with paint condition with light swirls, paint I would say 8/10
Yes, CarPro Essence is a unique product which polishes and helps to hide defects at the same time. It contains the same abrasives used in CarPro's Reflect polish, but also has durable resins that can fill in minor defects.

You might be thinking, what's the point of filling? Well, typically we recommend that you completely correct the paint and then use Essence as a very last polishing step only to enhance gloss and prep for coating, but if you have thin paint, or just want to preserve your clear coat, using Essence as a one-step to help do light correction while also doing a little filling will be a great option for you.

Product Review: CarPro Essence (Initial Impressions) by Zach McGovern

Essence can be used with any pad... it just depends on how much cut you need. If you only have light swirls, you will likely just use Essence with a polishing pad. My personal favorite foam pad to use with Essence is the Rupes Yellow Pad. If you need more cut, you can even use Essence with a microfiber finishing pad or microfiber cutting pad.

When using Essence, it is important you use it properly or else there is a chance it could still interfere with the coating if you do not do an Eraser wipe down after polishing.

When using a foam pad, do not prime your pad. Simply use 2-3 small dots of Essence (might not seem like enough, but it is). Work the product at a medium-high speed (speed 4-5) for 2-3 slow passes with medium pressure. This helps break down the product and activate the resins (due to heat). Finish with one pass at a lower speed (3-4) with very light pressure. There should be very little product residue on the panel, and it should wipe away very easily.

When using Essence with a microfiber pad, lightly prime the pad and work the product into the fibers, then apply 2-3 small dots of product for each section. Again work the product at a medium-high speed (speed 4-5) for 2-3 slow passes with medium pressure and then finish with pass at a lower speed (3-4) with very light pressure. There should again be very little residue and it should wipe away very easily.

If you have a lot of residue and it is difficult to wipe away, you are likely using too much product or not working the product long enough for it to break down. In this case, wipe the panel with Eraser or IPA afterwards before coating.

Let me know if you've got any questions!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.DetailPeoria.com
Appreciate 0