View Single Post
      05-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #94
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamaster222 View Post
I do have a question. What would be the best way to maintain a car with a xpel protection film and opticoated (the real opticoat). Both installed about 9 months ago.

I wonder if maybe using a nanoscrub would be ok.

I want to seal the car (on top of the opticoat), but want to clean the paint first.
Your installer should have shared proper maintenance practices with you, but in the event that he/she did not, here is what you should be doing to maintain the vehicle.

First, and most importantly, is proper car washing. Using the 3 bucket wash method to hand wash your vehicle. I recommend washing your car at least once every 2 weeks. You can use a spray wax or coating topper after each wash, or as you prefer, to provide additional protection and gloss.
How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car by Todd Cooperider

As far as additional cleaning & maintenance goes, coatings resist bonded contaminants considerably better than an uncoated vehicle, but you may still need to clay the car from time to time. I do not recommend using the nanoskin products for this as they are very likely to mar the paint. Instead, start with a chemical like Optimum FerreX Iron Remover to remove any bonded iron particles. If the car still needs to be clayed after this process, use a fine grade clay bar and clay lubricant to remove remaining bonded particles. If your vehicle has any water spots, you can also use Optimum Mineral Deposit Remover.

Now your coating should be completely clean. You can choose to apply a coating topper at this point if you prefer. Sticking with the Optimum Family, I would recommend Opti-Seal.

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

-Zach
Appreciate 0