03-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #324
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

I think I'm sold!

FWIW

Has anyone seen the DINAN dyno test of the PPK on an E90 N55 with Steve Dinan speaking? The NJ CCA chapter did a tour of the port facility in Bayonne yesterday which included a classroom session including a discussion with the new M Performance parts manager from BMW NA and Matt Russell.

A new PPK1 will soon be released for the F30 and be compatible for all N55s. The stats are the same as current tune, but the video was more interesting:
Dinan discusses the different ways aftermarket products may calculate their HP and torque gains and provided a range of gains based on there dyno test. In their test which was type that bolts directly to the hub, they conservatively estimate the crank output max at 327HP and 355lb. This tune now peaked my interest! It compares favorably with the seat of pants gains comments posted here.

According to Matt Russell, the reason the manual has a lower torque rating is due to concerns over the longevity on the flywheel as a manual car has to withstand higher shocks to the drivetrain during shifts. A higher spec flywheel was an option, but would have made the kit too costly.

They had a fully decked out F30 335i M-Performance car there too, the one used at Daytona this year. In person this car makes you grin. I have never been into accessorizing and tuning but this makes sense for the guy wants an M3 type experience but needs the practicality and running cost of a 335i to use as a daily driver doing a fair amount of miles a year. Now you have that fully backed by BMW, who will give you 'something' for these upgrades at trade-in time. Additionally, in a couple of years you could buy a CPO M-Sport car and add these items as you go. I like that.

I understand the M-Performance philosophy now, its an Alpine-type car.
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783743
Appreciate 0