7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG S View Post
Im down in So Cal, LA Area and my cat went bad. Are you saying that since my car is a 2003 3.0i and has 56000 miles on it then any bmw dealership should honor a replacement for free??? That would be awesome!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
What year, how many miles?

Warranty on Cats and DME's is 8yrs/80k per federal guidelines.
Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))

The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.

So, if your car is under 8 years/80k miles and your cats are going bad, definitely call the dealer.

Appreciate 0