Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 M3, 2006 325i

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Finally! Rode my bike first time yesterday!
Did about 2.5 miles mountain biking and 2.5 miles road.
Today I went to another park and did 8.88 miles, all road, with many hills.

The bike is good: not too good, but not too bad. I went to mountain trails by mistake, and was riding on pretty rough terrains. The bike took it really well.

On the road though I was wishing it could go faster, like a lot faster. App on my iPhone times me at average of 11+ mph on road yesterday. Today I think average was around 7-8, but had to jump off the bike few times to go up hills. And I also stopped by few times to take pictures of myself.

Want to say thank you all for great advises! I would not be ready and might not like it as much without all great stuff I got that you guys recommended.

BTW, what's your average mileage and speed when going mountain and road biking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Winter riding can be tough. I night right off-road until it gets down to the mid 20's or so. Helmet liner...multiple layers, sweats or tights, and maybe even a multi-layer ski glove.

Fingers and toes will get the coldest. You can get a 30-pack of toe warmers for $12 at Costco. A little ghetto trick I do is to leave the ends of a couple of plastic shopping bags in my pack. Put 'em over your sock and it'll help a lot- especially if your shoe is ventilated. You can get full-on shoe warmers, too, but I find them a little inconvenient and tough to fit.

Unless you're REALLY good at handling, you won't want to ride on pavement in the snow, or on any surface covered in ice.
Right now I got helmet liner, and sport tights, which works very good. Saturday I was riding at 40-42 degrees, and did not even feel chilly. Got few layers under windproof jacket too.

Carve, thank you again for your input. Much appreciated!