View Single Post
      07-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #21
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Reading this over at El Reg reminded me of this thread and particularly this reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiansensation239 View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I switched from an iPhone 4 to a Nokia Lumia 800 last month. Android is out for me because it simply doesn't provide the fluidity (even simple screen swipes and animations, browser scrolling and such) that iOS is perfect at. And its not a well optimized OS for the hardware. So many of androids are "dual-core", but the OS itself doesn't efficiently utilize the dual-core power, thus the laggy UI. The thing about Windows Phone (esp. the Nokia 800 device) is this fluidity and hardware optimization! All the major apps are available on the Windows Phone appstore and social integration inside the OS is quite impressive. Practically speaking, those "dual core" android devices don't offer the speed snappiness and user experience fluidity that iOS or Windows Phone offers. Personally, I'm a bit tired of the iOS interface and reliance on iTunes to do E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G.

I am an independent app developer and I received the Nokia 800 from MS as a gift. It is a single core phone, yet it is faster than those dual core devices out there. As for Windows Phone 8, currently Microsoft is preparing to launch the desktop/laptop/tablet version of the OS and so, every windows phone WILL be single core until they announce the next OS update for windows phones (codenamed Apollo, scheduled to release end of 2012 - all current phones are expected to get it since all of them have almost exactly the same hardware specs). And around end-2013 or later, when windows 8 is deeply set in the market, Microsoft will announce the follow-up update for windows phone OS which will support dual-core devices. So, if you were to get a Lumia 800 right now, you're set for the at least next 1.5 to 2 years for "hardware and software support". In fact, the way MS and Nokia are going, they will introduce handsets with EVEN LESSER power than the Nokia Lumia 800/900. This is because the Windows Phone OS is extremely optimized and will run just fine under less powerful less expensive hardware too. All the complaints of "windows phone not being dual-core" are widely misinformed. Bottom line is, if you get a high-end flagship-level windows phone device right now, you will absolutely get support for a good amount of time. And when I say flagship-level device with international support, the Lumia 800/900 top the list.

Both have the exact same design, with the Lumia 800 being a bit smaller at 3.7" screen and Lumia 900 at 4.3". The 900 also has a front-facing camera. So the first thing I'd suggest go to the at&t store and play with the Nokia Lumia 900 (it is on display at almost every location). That phone has the same design language at the Lumia 800, except it has a 4.3" screen and is a bit thicker. For me, the 3.7" Lumia 800 is a more optimal size, but everyone has their own preferences. Second thing I'd suggest is to check out the "Windows Phone Marketplace" from the computer browser and look at the available apps. If they have the apps you use the most, its only a matter of whether or not As a matter of fact, the Lumia 900 is available for little to no cost on AT&T right now.

Source of info: I'm a software engineer.
Even though the Nokia Windows Phones are nice kit it looks as if my caution was justified.

Quote:
after recent revelations that the Lumia 900 will never see a Windows 8 upgrade
Appreciate 0