02-10-2009, 05:43 AM   #35
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
M1 is not applicable as that was a car built from 1978-1981. Did Audi have any issues in the 80's Footie?.
Did you happen to read the post I write above?????

Quote:
If BMW were to make a new supercar, better believe it would be a whole different level than a parts bin car like the R8 which you can really thank Lambo for, not Audi. I wouldn't say Audi succeeded their first time around. They have yet to build a car of that level on their own instead of using an already established tried and true platform.
You really have to understand what Audi did to Lamborghini, to come out with a statement that Audi built the R8 because of Lambo's help is so, so far from the truth it shows how biased you really are. The chassis/shell for the Gallardo is built by Audi and shipped to the Lamboghini factory, the Gallardo engine is an Audi design, both current Lambo models were design and developed with Audi's help.

I am not denying that if BMW did decide to follow it through and build a supercar it would be amazing, their M3 has been at the top since it's launch and it even now can compete with the 997s on trackdays. I am only pointing out that the way Audi went about the developing and marketing probably aided their acceptance and success with the R8 into this very competitive market. I just feel that for BMW to try it on their own will be the trickier path to take and might not succeed.

Quote:
To answer the question, BMW does not need to build some ridiculous exotic. BMW could build a mid-engine car for 150k that would be an F430 rival that would make sense. They already have an awesome V10, that could use some more displacement, like around the Carrera GT level. Hell, even a Z8 successor with that type of motor would be great and make sense.
I don't think BMW need a supercar in the way that Audi did, they are already recognized as an accomplished chassis design on great driver focused cars. Their image is already up there, so it would be foolhardy to waste all that development money in an exercise to boost some executives ego.
Appreciate 0