View Single Post
      06-19-2007, 04:03 AM   #6
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

I started this thread and if I want to beat it to death - I Will.

Don't try to change your tune. Your initial post stated that heavier tyres will increase traction. FULL STOP !

I don't care if heavier wheels push harder on the pavement.- BY DEFINITION

Traction, in relation to a car encompasses more than just how heavy or light the tires are.

A cars total handling ability is increased when :

1)Tires maintain the largest area of rubber in contact with the road at all times. (cornering, chicanes, crests etc...)
2)Suspension is kept in geometry under all changes in loads.
3)It can change direction with the least amount of mass loading.

Lighter tires/wheels help suspension perform its designed purpose - to keep the largest portion of the tires contact patch in touch with the road. Cornering loads excert high force on all the suspension and tire components. Mass loading and the direction of Force changes direction very quickly when performing Hi-Speed corners.
A lighter wheel aids this by effectively changing direction of force more easily because of it's smaller mass, whereas a heavy wheel/tire combination is reluctant to follow this change of direction and forces the tires and suspension to delay a return to ideal geometry. That is why the "moment of inertia" is greater with a heavy tire because it does not want to change direction readily under load, due to its mass.
How many mechanical engineers apply this when designing an F1 Race car ??
I'll hazard and take a guess - ALL OF THEM.
They use ultra light magnesium alloy and carbon fibre in their wheels to reduce "moment of inertia" and amongst all this to improve traction, acceleration , fuel economy and heavily reduce braking distance - All positives when you want to win races !!

GOT THAT. I hope so

Last edited by Sparky66; 06-19-2007 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0