View Single Post
      09-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #290
Art_Vandelay
Rep
Drives: currently looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Hey guys,

It seems like I may be moving to the Twin Cities sometime later this summer, assuming I take this new job over there. I just wanted to say hi and see if there was an active, local, BMW community out there.

I'm a little nervous about all the winter horror stories I've heard from some of my friends (which I'm sure some are untrue), so I'm wondering how you guys cope up there? I've endured 16 years of the winter climate here in Cleveland (and I've seen just about everything, I hope), and I'm curious how much worse MN is.
Late response, but I just saw this post. I moved to Minneapolis from NE Ohio a few years ago, and I'd say the winters aren't much worse here for the most part. The cold lingers a bit longer, which can get old, but I haven't found the intensity to be much worse.

If I recall from the research I did prior to the move, I think it actually snows a bit more on average in Cleveland than Minneapolis. But its just enough colder here (5 degrees colder on average, if I remember correctly) that the snow that falls tends to stick around most of the winter, with fewer above-freezing spells to melt some of it away compared to NE Ohio. I think Minneapolis is prone to more extreme spikes of cold for a day or two, but those don't usually last for long. Bottom line -- if you can deal with Cleveland winters, you'll probably be fine with Minneapolis winters. And, Minnesota embraces the cold and snow more than Ohio, so that helps make it more tolerable IMO.

As for Twin Cities BMW community, I just got my 335 a few weeks ago, and can't offer any meaningful input there.
Appreciate 0