Rep
Drives: 2022 G30 M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 530I M Sport   [0.00]
  [10.00]
[QUOTE=bbstoke]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan107 View Post
I'd like to provide my input as I think it may help some of you. I came to this forum because my 2006 E90 330i (manual transmission) was not turning over as well as it once was and I thought the battery was beginning to go. One day a couple of weeks ago (as it is getting colder) I noticed that the rear defogger/de-icer was not working. I also was encountering problems with the HVAC fan speed. I lost the fastest three speeds and it also began to sporadically change speeds, especially when I was slowing for a stop sign or red light. Trying to gain information to help me address it, I began at the beginning of these posts an was trying to decide whether I should replace the battery myself and gamble on the registration or if I should suck it up, go to the dealer, cough up the dough, and hope the battery would solve the other two issues, thus being money (very) well spent. Then I read post #118. After that, I decided to go to the local dealership and have them install and register a new battery. It cost about $350. While waiting for it this past Saturday morning, I sat in a comfortable waiting area and next to the show room with the new Lime Rock Edition M3 and the new M5, among other awesome cars. After a couple of hours, I paid and left. When I got in the car the first thing I checked was the HVAC blower. It worked perfectly. I cannot say that I have tried the rear defogger yet because I haven't needed to but I am confident it will work fine. When you think about trying to save maybe $200 to do this one yourself and then you think about the cost of all the other maintenance, let alone tires, for this car, I personally conclude it was money very well spent. To me spending money on maintenance feels much better than spending money on repairs.
Nice one!
You mentioned that your car wasn't starting as well as it should.
Was it better once you changed the battery?
Same symptoms I had with rear defogger working intermittently and HVAC fan blowing at different speeds, it was the battery. BUT! The dealership refused to believe it was the battery at first claiming that the battery voltage was fine after I told them that I've read online forums and sounds like the battery, so since I was Still covered under CPO, they first said the rear window seem to be the culprit, so they changed it and guess what, it wasn't! After a couple junction box replacements still nothing, climate control unit and still nothing, so next was the fuse panel! They replaced the entire fuse panel behind the glove box and it worked. I believe while working on the car for the week the battery was kept on a charger and when I picked it up ($5,500 later that CPO covered) everything worked great, six months later I took it back for rear defogger not working again and only then they said it was the battery shutting down since it was weak, $375 later everything has been good since.
Appreciate 0