View Single Post
      12-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #164
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Jeez, not everyone buying a 911 is an idiot.
Of course not! I was referring to those who use it for cruising only.

Quote:
For the same money, they could have bought any number of faster or better handling cars, but where the 911 really shines is that it provides a balance between handling, acceleration and comfort that is relatively peerless within it's competitors.
Yes, the 911 is lighter than the most of its competitors, that's a big advantage I reckon... but I don't think it was made for 'cruising'.

What makes it peerless though is its motor racing and hollywood starring roles heritage.

Quote:
I like this car, but any sort of comparison to a 911 of any generation is just silly, Porsche has had that car right from the beginning and has polished it for over 45 years and your attempt at slighting the 991 by saying it won't be as track oriented as the previous cars apparently missed early N'Ring times that say anything but.
You should have been seated inside of one... it looks and feels like the Panamera. However, it still manages to be lighter than the 997 despite of being larger and bigger... then again that is definitely good!

The comparison to a 911 has the sole purpose of focusing on what a sports car should be all about (without electronic 'nannies' or 'gadgetry') - in the following order:

1. Handling........... (911 - far from the best)
2. Acceleration...... (911 - among the best)
3. Practicality....... (911 - among the best)
4. Price ............... (911 - far from the best)

Quote:
The BRZ/86 will not be peerless among it's direct competitors. The next gen Miata could clean it's clock, the Hyundai Genesis Coupe while heavy and a little under engineered will appeal to many of the same buyers and of course a Mustang GT is much faster and not a slouch at handling either.
You are wrong! Using your own words I can definitely say that there's no better balance between handling, acceleration, comfort and - I shall add - PRICE like in this Toyobaru.
Appreciate 0