View Single Post
      05-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
powerharp
Registered
Rep
Drives: Oh 7 328i wagon auto

Similar decision to make.....

My CPO warranty on my '07 328i wagon will expire next week. I will either buy an extended warranty, buy a new car or keep this one and bite the bullet. So, I'm in a similar situation to the poster. So, I too ask about aftermarket warranties and also ask, based on your experience, what can you suggest that may need repair in the next few years? The car has 60,000 miles on it. I'm now only driving it about 8,000 miles per year.

Here are some facts to ponder when making suggestions:

Repairs in warranty:

31,000 miles - remote door lock switches
31,000 miles - right rear wheel bearing (should have been detected in CPO process....)
33,000 miles - low oil warning light - apparently CPO oil change did not fill to capacity
46,000 rear brake squeal.....replaced under warranty
48,000.....sunroof wind deflector replaced
51,000....electric water pump replaced
56,000....driver side side view mirror motor replaced
58,000....oil leak found from oil filter mount...gasket on car not on filter
58,000....belt tensioner replaced - nearly fell off

The car seems to have a bit of valve tick at idle. I've read where it's a characteristic of the car and that it's a precursor to needing lifters replaced. The windshield washer reservoir and filler hose leaks...they've refused to fix under warranty...

In March I replaced the battery ($160 at Discount Tire Center not $600 at dealer) and the micro filter ($33 including shipping from Amazon plus 15 minutes to buy on line and install...not the $200 the dealer wanted).

Besides some of the annoying things about the car, it runs and performs well and is in otherwise great shape. The problem is that the resale value is horrendous. I bought it expecting to keep it for at least 10 years, but the thought of what it might cost to fix it going forward is scary and infuriating. If I add $5000 to what Carmax will give, I can buy a new Kia Soul with a 100K warranty...less if I sell it to a private party. Alternatively, I can keep the $5k in my bank and save it for repairs. I can also purchase an extended warranty for about $100 per month.

Suggestions ?
Appreciate 0