View Single Post
      09-15-2011, 04:52 AM   #18
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkStory View Post
I think it is worth it to replace water pump prematurely at the first sign of failing. Tow bill alone costs $100-200 and risk of engine damage from overheat is great. Being stranded in the middle of nowhere or on a highway is simply dangerous.
For the average BMW owner the first sign of failure is an overheated engine. Unless you regularly scan your car you'll never know it is failing. The only reason I knew my pump was suspect was because I scanned my car with my BT scan tool during another repair/oil change. Considering the average E9x gets scanned at the OCI of 15 - 17K miles, or at the 30K interval for the "car on lift" inspection, the pump can easily fail in between scans.

Also, considering a dealer will charge $1,000 for a water pump replacement, how many owners are going to be hard to convince they need to replace the water pump, when the SA comes to them and says the tech found an error code for the water pump, but the car has never shown any signs of overheating (there is no water temp gauge to so a temporary bump in water temperature) and is running perfectly?
Appreciate 0