09-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #38
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan View Post
Thanks Orb. (I always appreciate your engineering expertise) As you know I have the 850W radiator fan and dual oil coolers but do not have the aux radiator of the PPK. Are you suggesting that would be a good addition here? I dont think I understand you completely. I get that the radiator outlet fluid will flow to the inlet of the exchanger to cool ATF. Is it your premise that if the radiator is unable to cool anymore and is "saturated" essentially due to such high heat load then the heat exchnager will also be saturated and unable to cool the ATF further and thus cause high ATF temps? This would mean all the more reason to get the aux ATF cooler and as big as possible. Dont you agree?

If we can get the PWR or other radiator that will fit in OEM spot at a reasonable price I may get that as well.

Thanks

The best bang for the buck is going to be the 850 W fan and now you sorted it out other can do it as well. if we had software upgrade things would running a lot cooler as well.

I am not too sure I would use the aux radiator unless I had more info about the 335is water pump mapping and if the pump is different for the 335i version. The water velocity through the radiator is just above 1.5 m/s which far less than ideal. Adding a parallel path for aux radiator is going to drop the velocity of through the main radiator but it may be okay and maybe you are ahead of the game.

There are several things that need to be considered if one is going to add an AT oil cooler:
1. How much pressure drop does the system introduce? It will have effect on the oil flow rate. This issue should be taken very seriously.
2. Where are you going to put it? If you put in front of the radiator then you just dump the thermal load in the radiator…not smart and defiantly a job shop approach.
3. You need a thermostat control for sure. Over cooling the oil will shorten the life of the transmission and it will not work properly. It is important to bring the transmission up to operating temperature ASAP.
4. I would look a DCT M3 layout as it uses both aux cooler and heat exchanger.
5. Expect a non engineered solution from the majority of the vendors who will try this. The cost is going to be close to 1000.00

PWR does have the materials to make a high performance radiator but there are a lot of extra details to work out and getting the flow right and balanced was a lot of extra work. I know about the details since I designed it myself. You will never see a cheap radiator for this car as you need the best possible materials and design. In short there is no economy version radiator as they will never be made in qualities that justify a good cost reduction.

Last edited by Orb; 09-18-2012 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0