04-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #22
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septro View Post
I recall reading the assumptions back then but I thought seeing the new 335d using the same 6AT tranny @ 420wtq would be clarity enough to validate BMW's spec on what the tranny can take.

It isn't really vocalized too much here - but there is an undercurrent that the XI just isn't up to the performance capability of the RWD. Maybe it was when they were purchasing the car, that the price premium between the two did not seem justified for the spend, but I'm happy to see them both producing great numbers very close to each other nonetheless.
That statement is factually wrong sir. Ask your dealer tech, they will tell you as your SA will that, "No its not the same tranny." the one in the 335d is a beefier higher rated version with much (yes a lot more) torque limits. It has ZF 26AT, when we have ZF 21AT, big difference man. Ours are rated 360ish tq max. No one knows how much headroom ZF put in there, so as far as BMW goes, you are way over limit in the 400s and sooner or later you will pay the piper you are not careful. I am sure you will be just fine as long as you don't abuse it, such as tq braking when you have those huge numbers.

Other components in the cars such as drive shafts are different too. Ours a much weaker. Need proof other than what BMW says? Couple of People on here have snapped driveshafts torque braking 335 gassoline version cars that are not really much over 400. Be careful the car was not meant to handle that much. So don't tell people they are ok so confidently. Hopefully no one gets misled to believe they are safe territory pushing the cars that much. The 335d is a tq monster but its meant to handle a lot more than our cars too.