View Single Post
      05-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Unhappy new update, no POI

I had my car in for service, due to some buggy Navi/Sat radio issues and I thought I would get the latest electronic update (is this called Progman?).

Some recent threads have indicated some POI functionality with this revision. I did some limited experimentation and this is my conclusion.

There is No "POI" functionality whatsoever (as compared to a conventional unit like say Garmin).

The new update only allows a further extension of the already too heirarchial methodology for finding POIs. For example, if I type in the company name of a POI from the wrong category, it will not find it.

The only hypothetical value I can find of this new update is in the event one finds it painful to scroll through many POIs within a bottom-level category, then typing the name, or part of the name, can further restrict the search more quickly.

However, since my problem is simply not knowing which category the POI belongs, not the quantity of entries, per se, this offers no added value.

Perhaps the "meat" of the POI is really found in the Navi CD, which is unchanged for me. Does anyone have the new update with a new CD, that can comment? But in that case, then the progman would need to be updated with a POI name entry at the top level, methinks.

BTW, I didn't notice any other useful enhancements, but if there are some I would be happy to know!
Appreciate 0