View Single Post
      03-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

All those who are suggesting an optical cable from the Sky box to amp are correct. Sky boxes do not output 5.1 via HDMI, so going via the TV and THEN into the amp/DVD wouldn't work, or if it did it would simulated from a 2 channel signal, which is OK, but not as good as 5.1.

Unfortunately however, looking at the back of the amp, I would suggest you don't have an optical in. If you do, it's not pictured, so have a look elsewhere on the back for a small (about 3/4 of a centimetre) square which will have a little plastic flap, which needs to be folded in to insert something.

To be honest if you don't have an optical in then with Sky, you are shit out of luck. Your cheapest and probably best long term option would be to consider replacing the DVD/Amp with a dedicated amp and a BD/DVD player or PS3 and make sure that the amp you buy is compatible with the speakers.

I would have thought any budget amp will be capable of powering speakers from a setup like this, but if they have weird and wonderful connectors then you might need to chop them off and use bare cable or banana plugs.

Home AV is quite a slippery slope once you get started. I've been through maybe 5 iterations of surround sound now and it's taken years to get to the point I am now, which is just about competent/confident enough to understand the physical and logical architecture of cables, ins/outs and what devices do what etc.

Hope that helps.

Matt
Appreciate 0