08-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #15
omerfar23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335i, 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
Ya we did it. Didnt take pics as 1 its super easy. And 2 the plastic coolant line broke and went everywhere. Ill write the steps here. This is for 2007 xi. Not sure if it differs for others.

1. Take apart front scoop stuff. And bottom plastic belly.
2. Remove 1 screw on fan on top and 1 on bottom. You will also have to remove the screw holding the metal thing to the fan. (Think its the heat transfer thing). Unplug power wire. Pull fan out by releasing tabs.
3. Use breaker bar and torx for tensioner. Release tension and remove belt. ***REMEMBER HOW BELT WENT ON! TAKE PICS OR FIND SOME ONLINE*** belt wont fit if its on wrong.
4. Remove plastic caps from pullys and use torx to remove them.
5. Remove tensioner the same way.
6. Replace them and tighten. I dont know what tourqe we used. Think we just used judgement. Remember these things are under a lot of load and spin so tighten them good.
7. Replace caps.
8. Put belt on same way it came off.
9. Release tension and remove pin.
10. Put back together

I recommend taking lots of pics and watching out for that plastic line that runs across the fan. It breaks very easily. I would also get a buddy to help out. And also make sure the belt is seated correctly on the pullys.
I am about the replace the belt at 62K, there is no substantail noise but to be on the safe side, I am not replacing any pulleys or tensioner, is that okay? I will definetely check it once I got it open.

Also, do I need to take the fan out to replace the belt only?

thanks.