Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukr View Post
I just had it replaced on '06 n52 with parts from fcpeuro and the belt is flush with the tensioner pulley. With the old tensioner the belt was about 2-3mm inwards on the pulley.

Seems like this is normal on the new tensioner since everybody else is reporting the same thing.
After reading about possible damage from bad pulleys, I inspected my engine and found that the belt is just hanging over the edge of the tensioner pulley by about 1mm and not flush. The pulley isn't wobbling, however it almost looks like it's not on the same plane as the other pulleys. Is it time to replace it? Can I get away with just replacing the pulley and not the entire tensioner? The belt looks good with no cracks and there's no squeaking or other noise.
From what I've gathered about the tensioner is that the bolt can bend(weak aluminum)or even the tensioner,causing it to fall away from engine all while mis-aligning the belt until it falls off and possibly causing all sorts of peripheral damage that far exceeds the cost of tensioner.
Also bearings get worn introducing unwanted tilting of pulley.
So if it's hanging you would be best to just change it and be done with.
Appreciate 0