View Single Post
      10-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535d, E90 335d

I don't know what anybody else thinks, but I'm delighted with the appearance. I had intended to go down the OEM route but I'm pleased I've deviated now. BBS alloys just really seem to suit German cars. I do possibly prefer the look of the CH alloys, but even the CKs might be overkill for winter!

Incidentally, first impression with the HS439's is positive. I've pumped them up to 2.7 / 2.8 Bar front / rear respectively (same as recommended for the summer tyres). Not sure whether this is right. I suspect a little softer set up in the snow would work better, though I'm not sure whether there are any manufacturers recommendations anywhere.

The steering obviously doesn't compare as being so incisive as with the PS2 run flats, though this is inevitable due to the tread blocks. I do quite a bit of night driving so for me, now is a good time to fit, as I think we'll find temperatures frequently dropping below 7C in the forthcoming weeks.

There is slightly less road noise and without the RFTs, it does handle potholes and the myriad of road imperfections more comfortably (though I do tend to avoid them if possible).
Whilst this is a staggered set up tyre wise, front and rear are 8.5J. The front wheels protrude very slightly, I'm sure they'd be easier to kerb. The rim protection on the Falkens is not so substantial.

Front tyres were from oponeo.co.uk and were delivered very quickly. 225/40 R18 for £228.
Rear tyres from Mytyres.co.uk, delivered after about 8-9 working days, they had apparently come from Germany. 255/35 R18 for £307.80.
Bill from Demon Tweeks for alloys and fitting £923 (fitting tyres, balancing and fitting to car was £30).

Total bill therefore for brand new, top quality wheels with little time commitment = £1458.80

£300 more than the refurbed MV3 route, but I couldn't find any cheap enough MV3s to fund a refurb (and living in the sticks, I would have incurred a lot of courier fees).

I certainly wouldn't be paying BMW £1600 for 17" alloys. If I'd found a nice set of MV3s local to me for less £400, more ideally £350, I'd have probably gone down that route.

Don't forget your 'mobility kit'. I won't duplicate what I've posed in another thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598938
Appreciate 0