View Single Post
      03-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Oil leak -- Brainstorming and seeking advice

Hey Everyone,

during my last visit to the dealership I was told the car had an engine oil leak and the oil filter housing needed to be replaced (850$ ). The car goes through half a quart of oil every 3000 miles and I drive hard so it seems that leak is not severe.

I had my ETS intercooler installed by my local COBB shop and they said the undertray had a lot of oil on it. Probably accumulated over time. However they could not pinpoint the location of the leak and they said it seems the oil filter housing is not leaking!

I did some research and compiled all the locations that are prone to oil leaks:

1) oil filter housing (picture2)
2) valve cover Gasket (picture 1, #6?) (and would that oil get to the undertray??)
3) oil pan (Picture 3)

Did I miss anything here? I would appreciate if someone could add to this list based on their experience.

Now with that said, I will be changing the spark plugs tomorrow at home. If they are all dry and I find no sign of oil on the coil packs or anywhere on the head, I will conclude that my valve cover Gasket is OK. Is that a fair assumption?

I'm leaning toward the oil pan or oil filter housing based on research.

Tips and pointers are appreciated.

Thanks!
Marv
Attached Images

Appreciate 0