Thread: RWD vs AWD
View Single Post
      06-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #53
amclint
boom
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Fun thread, here are some points from my experience with the 335xi:

To the OP, if you're planning on taking your 335 to major power, stick with a 335i 6MT (clutch + axles + DR = GTG), if you want a good DD that can handle all weather without advance planning, go with 335xi on Conti DWS.

-Conti DWS are the best all seasons I've ever had, very capable in all but the most severe conditions.

-From a dig or slow roll the tuned 335xi destroys most cars on the street, as does a decently upgraded Evo/Sti, nothing new here.

-60-130 time is 1 to 1.5s slower, I feel like the 100-130 time is the worst zone and the most noticeable.

-Coming up on 250 full throttle launches, 85 at the drag strip, and still the TC is holding well. Not sure when/if it will fail, but I suspect I'll break an axle from wheel-hop first.

-RWD 'mode' in the 335xi: I thought we had established the car was making the same power, due to having to push around the free-spinning front diff? I'm planning on doing a dyno this Saturday in RWD mode, assuming the wait isn't too long ($30 for 3 pulls dyno day).

-Launching a tuned 335xi is NOT easy, 1st gear 6AT is very tricky when you have a lot of power. I can hit 1.8x all day long, but if you want to get into the 1.6x range it is more luck than skill as you have to time boost. I finally got to the point where I quit trying to get a good reaction time and just went when the car was at the right boost for launch. I've yet to get a 1.6x at the track with the Conti DWS though, the Pilot Sports I got 1.65 a few times, Conti the best has been low 1.7x, so there may be some room to lower 60' times on sticky summer rubber.

-2nd gear launches WILL have a negative effect on 2nd gear on the 335xi, and probably the 135/335i just takes longer. If this happens out of warranty, I'd not go to the dealer (they always want to replace, not rebuild) and have a shop do a rebuild using Level10 kit.
Appreciate 0