View Single Post
      12-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #129
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

Another successful upgrade here. Got my FSC code from Sergej (like others, very fast service, *very* reasonably priced, worked perfectly). At first I attempted to do the upgrade with a portable HD (500GB) with a USB cable pigtail. No dice. The drive was originally formatted as NTFS and it didn't work, reformatted it to exFAT (the only other choice with an HD this size under Windows 7) and it didn't work either. I didn't have any 32GB flash drives and I couldn't see any way to easily divide up the files onto smaller (16GB) flash drives, so for $19.99 I bought a 32GB SanDisk flash drive at my local Staples. It's pre-formatted FAT32, which I believe is the required format. It doesn't matter if it is USB 2.0 or 3.0--our cars are only 2.0 so you won't get any benefit from a 3.0 drive. Copied the files over (which took about 40 minutes on my PC because of the file sizes) turned the ignition on, plugged in the flash drive to the USB port in the glovebox and about 30-45 seconds after the iDrive booted up the message came on the screen saying there was a navigation update available. Select 'start update' and off you go. As others have mentioned, this method is *much* faster than using the DVDs. The car fell asleep a couple of times during the update (about 30-40 minutes), but once I turned on the ignition again, the navigation update message comes up again and you just select 'start update' again and it will quickly pick up where it left off.

iDrive needs to reboot once it's done. If you go right in and look at the navigation version on the screen immediately after the reboot it might be blank. This is normal. Let the car go to sleep and then start it up again and run it and it should show the correct 2013 version.

Oh, and my '09 E93 is a 01/09 build and I had no issues doing the update so the rumor that the older CIC cars can't do this update via USB does appear to be untrue.

I'm still seeding the map torrent so get it while you can.
Appreciate 0