12-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #131
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
It doesn't matter if it is USB 2.0 or 3.0--our cars are only 2.0 so you won't get any benefit from a 3.0 drive.
I agree the only reason I suggested the USB 3.0 flash drives is because I'm assuming that they will later be repurposed for something else, and also it takes less time to copy the files from your PC's HDD to the flash drive if you have a USB 3.0 flash drive and USB 3.0 port on your PC.

I have discovered one quirk with the PQI USB 3.0 flash drive that I recommended however. It seems to not be an issue in the BMW but in my Jeep which has a JVC head unit when I start the vehicle the head unit apparently boots up quickly but the flash drive takes longer to be recognized than the USB 2.0 PNY 32GB flash drive than I was previously using. What that means is that every time I start the Jeep even if I was listening to the radio, the head unit thinks that I inserted the flash drive after I powered up the HU and therefore switches over to playing .mp3s, starting with Track 1 of the first folder on there (an old Aerosmith album...)

OK end digression...
Appreciate 0