05-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #199
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
+1.

According to Terry, it's not all about IAT numbers when testing an intercooler. Reference

Flow and pressure drop is also important. Increased flow allows for more boost than IAT's. Reference

According to the calculated efficiency results posted earlier (and if the data is indeed reliable), it appears three of the FMIC's so far perform relatively similarly (within 8%) in reducing IAT. However, I've been concerned about how well the Helix FMIC flows even with their updated design due to its stepped structure. Air does not turn well around sharp bends, especially around 90 degree angles, so there must be turbulence generated around this stepped area within the endtanks which will negatively affect overall flow.

Just based upon physical appearance, it seems the HPF and AMS should have the best flow within their endtanks, which are curved without sharp angles. I personally like the HPF endtanks the best...its curves look the smoothest for the least amount of air turbulence IMHO. Of course, the flow through the core is another important aspect, but this can't really be judged based on looks. We need testing and data for this.
I got a feeling we will agree on alot in this thread.
Appreciate 0