United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
Notes about the V1:

1. Disable X and K bands, and leave KA and Laser on. That will eliminate most of your false positives.
2. V1 doesn't 'trigger' near high end vehicles, per se. What's happening is that some cars (like Infiniti) have laser guided cruise control. This will set off the Laser detection on the V1.
3. Radar detectors are only illegal in 2 places in the states: West Virginia and Washington, D.C. They are not illegal in California. However, it *is* illegal to mount anything on your windshield.
4. My V1 has saved me more times than I can count (I have 80k miles on my car, and it doesn't turn 3 until next month).
5. The directional arrows are awesome on the V1. So is the concealed display. Makes it a lot easier to not have you distracted by the noisy thing beeping at you by your mirror. :P

I strongly recommend it to anyone in the market for a radar detector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbad335 View Post
V1 all the way. For CA, turn off X and K band because all CA law enforcement use are Ka or laser. Do that and V1 will be super quiet, unless Ka is detected, and then you can be pretty sure it's a cop. If you get popped with laser, you're done--doesn't matter what you have.

Laser jammers are illegal in all 50 states and merely send an error code to the gun. You have to slow down rapidly and turn off the jammer, so if the cop re-targets you he doesn't get another error. Getting caught with a jammer probably isn't a good thing.

GPS doesn't detect radar, it just marks a location. The last thing you want is to have the detector auto mute a location that always goes off (e.g., speed display sign) only to have a cop sitting nearby that day with his radar gun.

V1 arrows are the shit, too. At least you know from what direction the threat is coming. Very helpful and something none of the others do.
You guys have convinced me, I just heard so many bad things about false alarms with the V1. And I did not want to be conditioned into ignoring them. That would just defeat the whole purpose of having a detector at all.

Unfortunately, even if I had them. I got popped with Lidar by bike highway patrol in California for my first ticket. For my second one I'm not so sure. It was a city cop bike, but because the equipment for KA is probably pretty hefty. I have a feeling it was Lidar as well.
Appreciate 0