View Single Post
      04-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #19
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygel XXV View Post
I've been an attorney in California for about 13 years now. I did civil litigation for 4 years then moved to an inhouse position for a high-tech company.

Based on my experience, my observation is this: there are exactly 4 kinds of people who should be thinking about law school:

1) Those who intend to become patent attorneys, because those guys have about the cushiest, well-paying jobs I've seen in this field;

2) Those who will go to a top 10 school;

3) Those who, if not going to a top ten school, will be in the too ten of their graduating class (not top 10th percentile, top ten)

4) Those who don't need to go to law school to earn a living, i.e. are independently wealthy or otherwise have sufficient resources that they don't take on debt.

For all others, I'm not saying earning a living is impossible, but it will be tiring, soul-breaking, mind-numbing, spirit-sucking work. I believe there are far better and easier ways to earn a living.
^ I too have been practicing for about 13 years, also in CA. 1st 5 years at BigLaw and now my 8th year at an in-house position. I second the post above, with the caveat that a top 20 school is probably fine, given that the top 20 schools are diversified enough geographically.

Also, don't go to law school for the $. I guarantee you that a bi-weekly paycheck won't sustain 80 hour weeks doing research/due diligence/document review for the first 3 years.
Appreciate 0