07-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #46
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
If it's one of the main inputs, then the interval would go up when it detects oil with low conductivity. Lets face it: the service interval is 15k with minor adjustments made for cold starts, fuel consumption, temp, etc. I think the conductivity sensor is just a backup and tells you if you're already screwed and the engine is shedding copious amounts of metal.

Also, high hp/l, hot running, turbocharged engines are very hard on oil AND very demanding of oil performance. There's no way this engine should have the same change interval as their naturally aspirated motors. In fact, Subaru had the same change interval on their turbo motors at first, but after only a few years, they changed the requirement to every 3000 miles- their "severe service" interval. That's right- they now consider merely having a turbocharged motor "severe service". What makes the BMW engines different?
First of all. No one has considered that maybe BMW develops their engines in a way that no matter how much wear the oil goes through, the engine will be running optimally for 15k miles between services. Although I do agree that 15k miles is a bit too much between oil services for these engines, I think people need to suck it up and change their oil more frequently. A lot of the poeple here aren't first time BMW buyers and knew that the service interval was 15k miles, you should have ALL considered this when you bought your cars, so that later you didnt end up here where u are, complaining. I'm fine with my 15k service interval, I change my oil every 5k miles and I know my engine will be fine!