View Single Post
      12-28-2006, 05:28 PM   #146
X72
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejav0o
I changed my oil for the first time today, but when I took off the nut, I noticed there wasn't a crush washer attached to the nut. I figured it might've just fell into the oil while it was draining, so I didn't bother checking. I placed the new crush washer onto the bolt and screwed it on after the oil drained completely.

But now that I'm thinking back, I'm kinda worried the crush bolt was stuck to the oil pan itself. From everyone's experiences, does the stock crush washer come off with the nut? or is it stuck onto the oil pan..? And if it is, would I need to redo it if I just placed the new washer on and just screwed it back on (meaning I may possibly have 2 washers now)?

I haven't driven the car yet since I'm missing 1qt of oil and all the shops are closed for tonight, but after starting it for a few seconds, I didn't notice any drips yet... Is this something that needs to be fixed? Or do you guys think it will be ok?
I changed the oil today on a 2006 325i w/ steptronic (approximately 5 months/ 6,600 miles). The crush washer was stuck to the pan and was an aluminum washer. The silver color made it hard to see since it matches the color of the oil pan. Knocked it off with a flat screwdriver. The crush washer that came with the new filter is copper.

Put in 6.5 quarts Mobil 1 0W-40 and showed 1/4 quart low which is close enough for me.

I used a strap wrench to remove the filter. I think the next time I change the filter I will buy the cap wrench for this vehicle.
Appreciate 0