MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M.aster View Post
Gent's, just to give you an insight from the other side of the fence;

It's reasonably common place these days to complete extended road tests out of hours. This can be for a number of reasons such as vehicles requiring DPF regeneration a which can sometimes take up to a couple of hours depending on the severity of the blockage.
(This may require an experienced tech due to the use of the diagnosis system)

Wind noises and a number of other faults can require the vehicle to be driven at motorway speeds, which when working at an inner city dealer can mean this is not feasible during the working day.

Also, engine work such as misfire diagnosis may require resetting the adaptations. During this learning period, minor defects can be masked until the readings are verified with mileage. Conscientious dealers will seek permission to cover these miles in an attempt to ensure the fix is successful as a repeat visit will damage customer service ratings.

I fully appreciate that your vehicle is your pride and joy and that I dare say every business has an idiot about the place. However you could stipulate that the workshop Master, Senior or workshop foreman drives your vehicle ensuring it is suitably looked after.

Over the past year or two vehicle faults are becoming more and more sporadic and difficult to reproduce let alone diagnose. Customers descriptions of their issues are generally very vague and sometimes spending time with the vehicle is the only way to get to the bottom of the issue.

I would suggest that the best way of avoiding lengthy road tests is to provide as much information as possible, ensuring the details you provide are documented on the job card. Add environmental conditions, vehicle specifics, how long the vehicle had been driven and under what conditions to give them the best chance of finding the issue quickly and efficiently.

Obviously there will always be the ones that go wrong or can't be reproduced upon that visit, but find a dealer you can trust and talk to the workshop foreman or Master tech if their available about your issue.

Right - I know it's coming so let me have it!
M,

We are honoured by your presence, such a rare occurrence

That aside, I totally agree with your comments, if you can build up a relationship with you dealer then trust is not an issue, after all I let you drive my car, and you know what a fussy, paranoid, old git I am

However I personally take issue with your comment "Customers descriptions of their issues are generally very vague".

Surely you are not accusing me of that

L&K's

M.
Appreciate 0