View Single Post
      09-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
shapptastic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i

Tips for driving manual better on track?

I just had a DE event at Lime Rock, first time I had ever been there. I have done a few DE event prior to this, but this was the first time I felt like I might break my car because of my lousy driving skills. The first two turns on the track are two right turns. On my way back to the start of the track, there is a long straightaway. This is where I typically redline it in 3rd and shift to 4th. The problem I have is once I get to the point where I need to brake going into the first turn, I drive like I usually do on the road. This means braking with clutch in, slowing it down enough until I can put it in 3rd without needed to blip the throttle. My instructor told me to brake hard, then go clutch in --> 3rd -> clutch out quickly and everytime I did that I got the squeak of the synchros (mostly because I can't heel toe). In order to avoid completely ruining my clutch at my next event, anyone have any suggestions for either other ways to approach the turn(maybe downshift after the apex?) or is this a case of needing to learn and practice heel toe? As it is, I'm driving the track basically like an automatic (in 3rd the whole time). Any suggestions for ways to improve?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0