View Single Post
      02-10-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
Imparo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2005 E90 320i

Bluetooth Cuts Out on Hot Days

Hi Everyone,

I have looked high and low and am not able to find anyone else having this type of issue but was wondering if anyone can give me ideas.

My Bluetooth works fine and connects with any phone that I have tried - absolutely no problems.

BUT on hot days the Bluetooth cuts off and the connectin is lost. A few (up to 10) seconds later it reconnects. Therefore, if I am on a call I will be on it as per normal without problems. Then all of a sudden the bluetooth connection is lost - at this point I lose the ability to hear or talk unless I reactivate the handset and talk through the handset. Alternatively if I wait a few seconds it will reconnect.

Things I have tried by readingthe forums:
- I have checked all the BT cables - all properly connected.
- I have opened the boot/trunk floor up so that the BT box can have lots of freshair (just in case it was overheating) - problem still occurs.
- I have tried different phones (including one that was originally recommended - still causes problems.
- I have turned off the wifi and internet connection on the phone - without luck - the cut out still occurs.
- I asked the dealer to look at the Bluetooth - he said there were no issues with it and that he had no ideas.

Recently I have tried something else; I turned off the Bluetooth itself when I started to have problems on a hot day to see if the actual audio system is a problem and here is the strange thing. The radio itself on hot days will briefly cut out and go silent for about a second (only on hot days as well). But the strange thing is that when the Bluetooth is connected on a call and it cuts out the radio itself turns on automatically without an issue. My only thought is that it is only a split second issue and by the time the BT cuts out the radio is ready to turn on.

The radio system is just the BMW Professional Radio - I was thinking of upgrading to the better Alpine system thinking that this would include a new Amp and thus overcome a possible amplifier issue that may exist in the Audio system.

I do know that the M Series (which I dont have) did have a problem with the Individual Audio systems having a similar problem in that the amp had no fan and was overheating!

But before I spend $1K on this trial, I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas????
Appreciate 0