View Single Post
      04-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

I've seen some wierd stuff at the track. Like a prius, a hyundai, and a smart car. But, an s-10 beating a 335? Not likely. Also, the s-10 paid a pretty heavy penalty for trying to catch the 335. Killed the right front tire dead. Two more laps on it, and the tire would have blown.

Lets not forget... I won the non-M class in my stock 335 by a healthy chunk of time. My time was almost good enough to win non-M modified too. Also, if the guy from Irvine with the N54 535 would have been there, he probably would have been faster than me. (conclusion: most capable non-M car/motor BMW makes) I had 2 better-than-me drivers drive my car hard this weekend. With both of them, we talked about the non-linearity of the turbo. My car is update 30ish.

The car is great, but the differential, and the turbo make for more of a handful than necessary. Oh, and I told Ramos that he'd be slower with the tune. And, I'm pretty sure he would have been a tiny bit faster if he was stock. I don't know how to explain it. Maybe something about being scared of the car makes the driver less ballsy? Or, if your mind is focused on putting down the power, it's not on apex speed?

From what they tell us, autocross is about having the car rotated and getting to the throttle before the apex. If you're getting to the throttle at or after the apex, you're going too slow. With that in mind, you end up playing lot of pitch-and-catch. Drive by wire, and 1/2 second delay getting on boost is a killer.
Appreciate 0