View Single Post
      02-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #42
stoppy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i blk, Sport Pkg, 6spd

So I wanted to update everyone on my status of my problems listed earlier.

1) Idle issue is resolved. Idle is stable from starting & warmed up idle
2) Started sounds better and no shaking
3) Driving is 100% better. Smoother more aggressive shifting. Power is MUCH stronger throughout the entire rpm range.
4) No clunking at low RPM rolling starts

All in all, things are MUCH better since I started to experience problems. I would say it drives better than the day I bought it.

I followed this DIY:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697252

This took me forever to find. Use this for torque setting:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...6&d=1331856881

That DIY is for a 2007, so the 2006 is a bit different(covered with photos from a poster above) . The manual above helps with those important grey areas like:

1) Torque setting. I found when I was looking ppl have their own opinions and these are wrong. The manual is correct
2) Valvetronic motor. Manual gives you a better idea of what you're dealing with. I also found these helped:
Removal:
Disconnect the cable to the motor.
Remove the coils to the left & right of the motor.
Remove the bolt that secures the back of the motor to the valve cover.
Back out the 2 bolts that secure the front of the motor to the valve cover 2 full turns.
You will feel that there is pressure trying to push the motor out, insert a 3 mm allen wrench into the back of the motor and turn clockwise to release the pressure against the 2 bolts.
Remove the two bolts.
The motor should come out at this point, but if it does not, insert the allen wrench and turn counter clockwise until the motor is free.

Replacement:
Install new gasket. USE 3 NEW BOLTS ONLY! DO NOT CHEAP OUT!
!
Place motor in position, insert the allen key into the back and turn it clockwise until the motor just barely touches the gasket. DO NOT TURN IT FURTHER!!!!
Install 2 new bolts valvetronic motor to valve cover finger tight
Install new bolt at back of the valvetronic motor finger tight ONLY!
Torque the 2 bolts to cover, then torque the back bolt.
Reconnect and button up.

Retraining new/ replacement valvetronic motor.
Turn on ignition, do not start engine...wait 5 seconds, turn off ! ignition..
Repeat
Start engine, check for leaks.

3) I also replaced the grommet around the sensor and the seal around the valvetronic motor because I figured it was the right thing to do.

Still early days yet, I only finished this about 24hrs ago. But I had some good drives today. Ill post back if I run into issues!

Thanks for the continued support. Forum rocks.
Appreciate 1